The first game of the 2012-2013 season for Valparaiso basketball will be in Valparaiso on November 9 against Georgia Southern. From that first game on, the Crusaders will attempt to match the expectations set by last season's squad. They'll counter the loss of the players that gave them 25% of their minutes last season with the efforts of other players.
Valparaiso will see the largest deficiency on offense, where the team lost 27.2% of their scoring. After that, they'll hurt almost as much in three-point shooting, where they drop 26.6%.
Valparaiso ended last season with a record of 21-10 overall and took the Horizon regular season with a conference record of 14-4. In the National Invitational Tournament (NIT), they were seeded 7th and would lose to Miami (FL), 66-50. Valparaiso will feel the loss of last year's seniors Nick Shelton (4 minutes per game) and Nathan Stegelmann (3 MPG). The Crusaders will also have to get by without Jay Harris (25 MPG), Griffyn Carpenter (22 MPG), Richie Edwards (transferred to Arizona State), Tommy Kurth (10 MPG), and Hrvoje Vucic (8 MPG).
The Crusaders welcome back senior Ryan Broekhoff (14.9 points/game), senior Matt Kenney (2.5 assists/game), senior Will Bogan (7.2 points/game), senior Erik Buggs (3.0 assists/game), and senior Kevin Van Wijk (14.1 points/game). Other players joining the team include 6-9 senior Bobby Capobianco (transferred from Indiana), 6-10 sophomore Vashil Fernandez, 6-4 junior Jordan Coleman (transferred from Hawaii), 6-1 junior LaVonte Dority (transferred from South Florida), 6-6 junior Alex Rossi (transferred from California), and 6-9 junior David Chadwick (transferred from Rice). Valparaiso kicks off Horizon play on January 2nd against Loyola (Chicago).
Tags: Nick Shelton
- Valparaiso has had 2 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Valparaiso has an overall winning percentage of 55.1%.
- The Crusaders have an average conference finish of 4.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 2.6.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 175.8.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Murray State (#23).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Chicago State (#339).
- The last time Valparaiso returned more than 75% of the team's statistical production was 2010-2011.
, Nathan Stegelmann
, Jay Harris
, Griffyn Carpenter
, Richie Edwards
, Tommy Kurth
, Hrvoje Vucic
, Ryan Broekhoff
, Matt Kenney
, Will Bogan
, Erik Buggs
, Kevin Van Wijk
, Bobby Capobianco
, Vashil Fernandez
, Jordan Coleman
, LaVonte Dority
, Alex Rossi
, David Chadwick